Recipe of the Month: Coffee Smoothie (V, GF)

There is a great smoothie and bowl place a few towns over that I love to visit with my BFF because their coffee smoothie is THE BEST.  I've had coffee smoothies at a gazillion places, but none ever come close, and I'm often left wanting more.  Until now. :)  Although my ingredients aren't the same as theirs, somehow this delicious treat is the perfect blend of chocolatey-coffee goodness without being overly sweet or heavy.  Full disclosure: I don't drink caffeine due to a TBI via a concussion and the funky way that being caffeinated makes me feel, so I drink this morning, noon, or night.  Consider decaf if you want to make this into more of a milkshake dessert, otherwise it's a great breakfast replacement if you aren't big on filling up your tummy early in the morning.


makes a 24oz smoothie

Ingredients:

  • 8oz cashew milk
  • 8oz coffee
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • 1 tbsp dark chocolate tahini
  • 1 tbsp fermented cacao powder
  • 1 tbsp cocoa nibs (I prefer the sweetened ones)

Directions:

  • Make sure to use frozen bananas instead of substituting regular bananas and a handful of ice.  This latter method will create a foamy smoothie that separates and feels semi-frozen rather than fully combined.
  • Put all ingredients in a high-powered blender.
  • Blend on high for 60-90 seconds.
  • Pour and enjoy!

Nutritional Information:

  • Calories: 527
  • Fat: 23 grams
  • Carbs: 79 grams
  • Protein: 12.5 grams